Skip to main content

Day 24 (8/8/19): Multilayer Perceptron Experiment

I continued gathering more results for my presentation today, and the data table is coming along nicely. We are able to see a significant trend that using Mahalanobis instead of Baseline Thresholding recovers much of the OOD recognition that is lost with streaming or incremental models. The SLDA model appears to be a lightweight, accurate streaming model which can be paired with Mahalanobis to be useful as an embedded agent in the real world.


For the purposes of demonstrating catastrophic forgetting, I ran five experiments and averaged the results for a simple incrementally trained MLP. Obviously, the model failed miserably and was achieving only about 1% of the accuracy of the offline model. Including this is only to show how other forms of streaming and incremental models are necessary to develop lifelong learning agents.


A diagram of a simple multilayer perceptron.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 (8/15/19): Final Day Before Presentations

Most of today was also spent practicing and editing my presentation to make it as professional as I can. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to present my work to faculty and friends tomorrow. Here is a link to the slides for my final presentation: Novelty Detection in Streaming Learning using Neural Networks

Day 28 (7/14/19): Presentation Dry Run

In the morning, all of us interns got the chance to practice our presentations in front of each other in the auditorium. I was pretty happy with how mine went overall but the experience was definitely valuable in identifying typos or slight adjustments that should be made. Throughout the rest of the day, I tried to implement these changes and clean up a few plots that I want to include for Friday.