Skip to main content

Day 8 (7/17/19): Incremental Lifelong Learning

I spent the majority of today reading recent papers outlining various approaches to achieving effective incremental learning deep learning models. There seems to be a wide variety of proposed systems with no general consensus on which is best or how to evaluate the different models. In fact, incremental learning does not always mean the same thing in different papers because some models incrementally learn classes while others incrementally learn datasets or even stray from the batch setting altogether by learning from streaming data. As a result there does not yet exist a standardized way of evaluating which models are actually best at achieving lifelong learning because they are often tested on significantly different tasks.


After lunch, my advisor and I went through a presentation made by Tyler Hayes, another PhD student in the lab. It discussed many of the problems and proposed solutions which I was reading about and explained the focus of a lot of the research the kLab is doing.

Tomorrow I plan to spend the day trying to implement incremental learning into my own model to classify the CUB200 dataset. It should be challenging but also rewarding once I manage to finish it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 29 (8/15/19): Final Day Before Presentations

Most of today was also spent practicing and editing my presentation to make it as professional as I can. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to present my work to faculty and friends tomorrow. Here is a link to the slides for my final presentation: Novelty Detection in Streaming Learning using Neural Networks

Day 28 (7/14/19): Presentation Dry Run

In the morning, all of us interns got the chance to practice our presentations in front of each other in the auditorium. I was pretty happy with how mine went overall but the experience was definitely valuable in identifying typos or slight adjustments that should be made. Throughout the rest of the day, I tried to implement these changes and clean up a few plots that I want to include for Friday.